SSL Certificates Installation Instruction - iPlanet 6.x
To install your certificate on Iplanet 6.x follow the instructions below:
a. Fetch your certificate
1.You will receive an email when your certificate is issued.
2.Select the 'Standard certificate' format option to download your issued certificate.
3.Copy and Paste your certificate (first certificate) to a text editor (Notepad) and save the file with a .txt extension.
4. Copy and Paste the Intermediate Certificate (second certificate) to a text editor (Notepad) and save the file with a .txt extension.
b. Install your Certificate
1. Copy the Server Certificate to your clipboard. You must include the "----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----" and "-----END CERTIFICATE-----" lines.
2. Paste the certificate into a text editor such as Notepad, and ensure that the entire text is flushed to the left with no leading or trailing white space.
3. Save the file.
4. Launch the Administration HTML interface:
5. Select Start > Programs > iPlanet Web Server > Administer Web Server
6. Select the server instance you wish to administer by selecting the correct server name from the drop down list.
7. Select the 'Security' tab.
8. Select 'Install Certificate' from the menu options available in the left frame.
9. Supply your Key pair File Password.
10.Select 'Message is in this file' and supply the full path and name of the text file you saved in step 3 of this procedure.
12.Select 'Add Server Certificate'.
c. Install the CA Intermediate Certificate
1. Select the "Server Certificate Chain" radio button
2. Under certificate name type in "WoSign CA"
3. Select the "Message text (with headers)" radio button.
4. Select (highlight) the CA Intermediate Certificate,including the two lines labeled "-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----" and "-----END CERTIFICATE-----" and copy them onto the clipboard. Cut and paste the Intermediate CA by clicking on the button marked, Intermediate CA, above.
5. In the Admin server's "Message text (with headers)" frame, paste the copied information from the clipboard into the space provided. Click OK
6. Click add certificate on the page where the cert profile is shown
7. There should be some processing and a statement saying that the server which utilizes this information must be shutdown and restarted.
Enabling SSL on your webserver
1. Launch the Administration HTML interface:
2. Select Start > Programs > iPlanet Web Server > Administer Web Server
3. Select the server instance you wish to administer by selecting the correct server name from the drop down list.
4. Select 'Manage'.
5. Select 'Add Listen Socket' from the menu options available in the left frame.
6. Supply an ID for your new listener. iPlanet creates the first listener upon installation (ls1).
7. Supply the IP address associated with your new listener.
8. Supply the port for your new listener. The correct port for SSL connections is 443.
9. Supply the Server Name associated with your new listener.
10.Select the Default Virtual Server (VS) associated with your new listener.
12.Select 'OK' to complete the creation of your new listener.
NOTE: You have now enabled your Web Server to require and accept SSL connections. The changes will not take effect until you stop/start the Web Server.
To back-up your Private Key and certificate:
1. Launch Windows Explorer
2. Locate your Web site's Alias directory. By default, this directory may be found in c:\iPlanet\Servers.
3. Select and copy the relevant .db files for your Web Server. These files will have a naming convention that includes the alias that was defined when creating the key pair. Be sure to copy both the -cert7.db, and the -key3.db files.
You have successfully backed up your Web Server's private-key and certificate.
In the event of a disaster recovery, you may simply place these files back into the alias directory of your Web Server to recover your private-key and certificate.